Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Language Police !!!

"Language has rules, but we break them all the time"

I agree with one part of this phrase and disagree with another (like always, sigh) but I must be honest; I think that we constantly push the boundaries of language in order to express our creativity and show our feelings and emotions beyond what the formal language can express. It gives us new ways to express ourselves and communicate with the people around us. But I disagree with the idea that we are "breaking" rules, I truly think that language has no real rules, because it is constantly changing, evolving and it is more just a standardized means of communication in order to simplify the way we perceive language, but I think that there are no real rules. It is more of a possible way of formatting our thoughts in order to ensure that our opinions are properly understood (with exceptions of course) but if we wanted to suddenly change our language, as long as we were somehow able to inform the other person what it was that we were trying to say, it is still a language of sorts, and communication still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment